Electronic Record-Keeping in Healthcare
For this week’s assignment you will be taking an inventory of the information systems in your organization. To complete the assignment, you might need to contact other departments. Based on what you have learned so far in this course, create a 15-20 slide PowerPoint presentation that addresses each of the following points/questions. Be sure to completely answer all the questions for each bullet point. Use clear headings that allow your professor to know which bullet you are addressing on the slides in your presentation. Support your content with at least three (3) citations throughout your presentation. Make sure to reference the citations using the APA writing style for the presentation. Include a slide for your references at the end. Follow best practices for PowerPoint presentations related to text size, color, images, effects, wordiness, and multimedia enhancements. Review the rubric criteria for this assignment.
- Differentiate between electronic health record (EHR), electronic medical record (EMR), and personal health record (PHR)
- Differentiate between clinical information systems (CIS) and administrative information systems (AIS)
- What systems are currently being utilized at your organization?
- If you had to rate the information-technology status of your organization, what score would you give them?
- Identify two strength and two weaknesses of the current information-technology being used.
Length: 15-20 slides in length, not including title, objective, or reference slides. Speaker notes are required to explain the information presented in the slides.
Structure: Include a title slide, objective slide, content slides, reference slide in APA format. Title/Objective/Reference slides do not count towards the minimum slide count for this assignment.
References: Use the appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. Include at least three (3) scholarly sources to support your claims.
Expert Solution Preview
Electronic record-keeping in healthcare has become essential in modern-day healthcare delivery. This has led to the implementation of various information systems intended to capture all aspects of the patient’s care journey. As a medical professor, I am expected to assist my students in understanding the critical aspects of these systems. In this assignment, we explore the different types of electronic record-keeping systems, the different types of information systems, and what systems are utilized in various organizations.
1. Differentiate between electronic health record (EHR), electronic medical record (EMR), and personal health record (PHR)
Electronic health records (EHR) are digital records of a patient’s medical history, including diagnoses, medications, treatments, and test results. EHRs are designed in such a way that they can be shared across different healthcare providers. In contrast, electronic medical records (EMR) contain patient health information maintained by healthcare providers, including medical and treatment histories, diagnostic test results, and medication lists. EMRs do not share patient information outside of the provider’s office. On the other hand, personal health records (PHR) are records controlled by patients that contain their health information, such as medications and test results.
2. Differentiate between clinical information systems (CIS) and administrative information systems (AIS)
Clinical information systems (CIS) are used to capture, store, and manage patient care information, including electronic health records and any other operational systems that generate clinical data. In contrast, administrative information systems (AIS) are used for managing administrative functions in healthcare institutions, such as financial management, human resources, and scheduling.
3. What systems are currently being utilized at your organization?
At our organization, we utilize an EHR system, a clinical laboratory information system (LIS), and a radiology information system (RIS).
4. If you had to rate the information-technology status of your organization, what score would you give them?
I would rate our organization’s information-technology status as “good,” as we have modernized our systems and effectively integrated our technology systems into our operations.
5. Identify two strengths and two weaknesses of the current information-technology being used.
– Improved efficiency in patient care delivery
– Improved accuracy and completeness of patient records
– High initial implementation cost
– Inadequate training and technical support for staff
#Electronic #RecordKeeping #Healthcare #weeks #assignment